Home - Raid Calendar - Wiki - Search - Usergroups - Register - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - New Posts - Log in

Collective Story (RP) Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Roleplay
Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, waited a bit to gather questions. ( Also saving my bump rights for future =P) The questions are somehow related though.

Character information detail. I will post a template and an examplary filled one (not Fanguarn though) in a day or two in order to get started. I think it will be enough for you to grasp exactly what I need to know about your characters. But to briefly explain it here: I want everything you know about the character. To technically put it: focalisation zero. We don't have to be the god of the story as the narrator, but we do need to know everything there is to know as the author. I want it all. His/her point of view, your point of view, general point of view. Will try to precise this further in the example (coming soon).

From this last part about wanting every detail emerges the answer to Aria's question, and another one you may have had after reading I will not base the example on Fanguarn. I won't do this for Fanguarn, because I do not want everything about him to be publicly disected. Therefore, I do not ask any of you to do the same. On the other hand, we can of course work a way around this, in regards of what Aria is planning (Players including other players' characters). We can keep the descriptions locked up, and only after a player decides to include another character in his/her chapter (and with that character's player's approval) we can provide the author of the chapter with the intel. This option being possible, I am still against including other characters in your chapters. Because it can create chaos if everyone decides to add 1 more character to it. Elaborating:

If Tiaana writes a chapter including her own character, Tiaana, and another character, Gandogar; this will give Gandogar the player a reason to check what Tiaana is writing. And I really predict many objections to parts written about other characters. This applies to me writing the intermediary chapters too, of course. Am I a better writer than you? I certainly don't think so; it is just a case of limiting the possible chaos by limiting the possible contradictions. The project will, rest assured, take already too long without everyone editing each others' work anyway.

One last point I want to make is: this project requires no online WoW time as you can see. What would be ideal is maybe to write an open end plotline, hold events and let players play it out, then make a story out of it. This, being still an idea I'm weighing in my head, seems rather difficult at the moment because it requires a good amount of in game activity and roleplaying from players. Instead, let's start with baby steps. For those who don't have time, you can just contribute by sending your character's description and a note, then we can include him/her in the intermediary chapters. Still, writing one chapter about your character is not a very time consuming process I think, considering that it can be spread on a long time.

So summing up:

Descriptions: Will post template and example
Public access to descriptions: No because there is too much info
Including other players' characters: I see it as an enormous problem that will delay and damage the project. Can discuss further, though.
Not having time: Doesn't require online time, so stop whining!! If you insist though, we can still include your character even without a chapter you write yourself, should you wish.

I hope the answers were satisfying. Will bump this again soon with the template and example I mentioned. In the meanwhile keep the discussion and interest alive in here.

Fang

Faela
Sentinel (tanking officer)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanguarn wrote:
Not having time: Doesn't require online time, so stop whining!!

Wow. If this is how you're going to respond to people who say they are busy, I'm not sure I still want to be involved.

Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Faela wrote:
Fanguarn wrote:
Not having time: Doesn't require online time, so stop whining!!

Wow. If this is how you're going to respond to people who say they are busy, I'm not sure I still want to be involved.

That being the sarcastic "sum up" of how I responded, understandable from double exclamation I'd thought. This is the elaborated version of it that is just above

Fanguarn wrote:
For those who don't have time, you can just contribute by sending your character's description and a note, then we can include him/her in the intermediary chapters. Still, writing one chapter about your character is not a very time consuming process I think, considering that it can be spread on a long time.

To further explain where I stand on this, since I didn't want to come across like that, a few more words. I'm completely relaxed about the process, if you want to hand in your chapter a bit late, or delay something etc it is fine of course. I'm just a bit strict on late additions and early quits, but those can be managed too. About the not writing them part, I didn't want to kick out people who don't have time, just wanted to give the option to those who really has no time to write but still want their characters in.

I couldn't understand the reason of hostility but this is our project, if it happens. I'm not the manager or anything. Feel free to join or drop out as you wish.

Faela
Sentinel (tanking officer)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanguarn wrote:
That being the sarcastic "sum up" of how I responded, understandable from double exclamation I'd thought. This is the elaborated version of it that is just above

Considering that none of the rest of the summing up is sarcastic, I'm not sure how the sarcasm was supposed to be evident in that one line in pure text.

Kailania
Vaelastrasz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite fair, writing a good piece can take quite a bit of time and effort. Hell, for me, depending on how inspired I am, simply thinking up a good plotline can take days.

Sejavictrix
Scourgelady (melee offence officer)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I took nearly two years. Razz

Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailania wrote:
To be quite fair, writing a good piece can take quite a bit of time and effort. Hell, for me, depending on how inspired I am, simply thinking up a good plotline can take days.

That is what I mean by spreading it over time. I'm not expecting this to be done in less than at least 3 months.

Materalus
Chromaggus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people have the misconception of this being easy... Wink

I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for my own book, and an RPG Maker game, so this as well... Fun. Wink

Screenshot competitions!

Need something resolved? Don't hesitate to get in touch:
LukeStrife#2143

Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't really see the point of making an examplary one, so here goes the template with explanations. Feel free to leave some unanswered if you don't feel like it. This is just some sort of a guide to give the feel of what I wanted as description.

Everyone who wants their character in (even without their own players writing their parts) please fill this in and send it to me with a PM. Don't fill it inside this thread please.

I'm quite happy about this great interest, will get right onto making the plot once I've got at least some of the descriptions. Please speak up your mind if you have suggestions about what we are trying to do, and if something would be better another way.

Cheers, Fang

1-Name: Your character's names and titles, nicknames, codenames,undercover names

2-Age: In Azeroth years. If you don't want to really specify, at least specify something between child, young, adult, old

3-Physical Appearance: Fill in the parts abc first, then if you still have something that doesn't fit below, write it up here

3a)Body: Height, weight, hair, eyes, scars, etc

3b)Equipment: Casual gear, battle vestment, colors, details

3c)Companion: Pet, guardian, mount, etc

4-Personality: Fill in below, if there's additional stuff about personality, add here

4a)Alignment: Doesn't have to be the typical "neutral good" or stuff

4b)Habits: Even past habits that he/she doesn't have

4c)Perspective: Any special views he/she has about

4d)Views on Other Classes: Classes as in druid, paladin, warlock etc. You can group them up as in "she likes mages, warlocks, rogues". But please make sure each one is noted here.

4e)Views on other races: same concept as classes, include all alliance races please

5-Background: Again, fill in below, if things rest, write it up here

5a)History: Personal life, birth place, childhood, adulthood, romance etc

5b)Family and Friends: Short history of close family and friends (their own history, not bound by your character)

5c)Past connections: Friends foes lovers children, anything

6-Other: If you think something else will be help in reflecting your character on paper better, it belongs here

7- Who will be writing the part of this character: Say if you want to write it yourself, or want me to figure something out

Last edited by Fanguarn on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Materalus
Chromaggus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

You say views on other classes, I'd say it'd be a good idea to note characters' views on other races too.

Screenshot competitions!

Need something resolved? Don't hesitate to get in touch:
LukeStrife#2143

Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Materalus wrote:
You say views on other classes, I'd say it'd be a good idea to note characters' views on other races too.

Good idea, also Kraani had done it in her PM, edited it in as a part of the thing now. Thanks Mat and Kraani.

Also, waiting for more PMs. (Personal Messages, not the period) Get your fingers greased and get to work!

Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 character sheets as of now. Needless to say I need/expect much more. On the other hand I can't wait forever. Next sunday, 7th of November is the deadline for character sheets. If you want to join in but cannot send it till then at least let me know somehow so I can plan accordingly, leaving a space for you to fill in later when you have time.

So 1 week, template is a few posts up. Get to work! (Reminder: please PM them to me via forums )

Kailania
Vaelastrasz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, crap. Forgot. Filling in now.

Ayalin
Gehennas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:15 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to join but I'm not sure I can have the character sheet ready for sunday. Please leave a space for me Smile

Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpitty bump. Just a reminder for those who wish to take part: PM your character sheet by the end of this week - if you haven't already- or let me know you want to join but don't have time if that is the case.

Post new topicReply to topic Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Roleplay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: