Home - Raid Calendar - Wiki - Search - Usergroups - Register - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - New Posts - Log in

updating pc , looking for advice

Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Public General
koranin
Gahz'rilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: updating pc , looking for advice Reply with quote

Hi all , just wanted to seek some advice if anyone out there is good with computer upgrades and stuff.

currently looking at upgrading my motherboard, cpu and fan. or if someone recommends something else.

currently running

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16340MB RAM
Page File: 2338MB used, 15916MB available
DirectX Version: 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

AS rock motherboard.
currently using ddr3's 1866's x2 but also have a set of ddr 4's.

the only thing i really want to keep is the graphics card.

Looking to buy - from amazon

cpu- Intel BX80662I56600K Core i5-6600K LGA1151 3.5 - 3.9 GHz CPU -amazon £200

cpu fan Cooler Master RL-S12V-24PK-R2 Seidon 120 Ver.2 "System Builder, Closed Loop Liquid Cooler, 1 Silencio Fan, 120mm Radiator" Black £45

motherboard- Asus ROG Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger Skylake ATX Motherboard £160

if anyone can give advice on this would be great. bearing in mind the only thing my pc is really used for is wow and general stuff. i am perfectly happy to use cheaper/slightly more expensive alternatives or if anyone would recommend any other uprgades please say. if any other info required please say also. also if anyone knows of any good monitors that dont cost the roof would be great also.

thanks,
koranin/mark

Aralynn
Magmadar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/startrant] Curse AMD and their filthy lying about their core count. They should get a hefty fine from the EU for their shenanigans.

The FX-4300 (or all FX processors for that matter!) is for all intents and purposes a dual-core processor, because it only has two floating-point calculators, instead of the 4 it would require to be classified as 'quad'. It's like calling the i5-6600k an octo-core processor because it has 4 cores + 4 hyperthreads.

[I might be slightly biased, also /endrant]

As for your proposed hardware:
The 6600k only offers 'real value' over a regular 6600 or even a 6500 if you intend to overclock it. You can't overclock 'non-k' processors.

The 6600 runs at 3.3Ghz normally with turbo boost to 3.9Ghz. The 6600k runs at 3.5Ghz normally with a boost to 3.9Ghz. Since you can assume while gaming your CPU will always be running at boost speeds, you're not going to notice a single bit of difference in performance between those two CPU's, while the 6600 is slightly cheaper. The 6500 runs slightly slower, at 3.2Ghz and 3.5Ghz boosted, but might be worth the savings if you're a little tighter on money.

Motherboard wise, you really, really, really don't need something expensive. That is unless of course you're planning to overclock and connect a heap of additional hardware such as harddrives/SSD's, multiple GPU's and what not. You can get something half the price of that and still be fine. Just make sure it's socket 1151, has PCI-e 3.0 and some USB 3.0 (or 3.1) connectors.

Never used that CPU fan, and judging from this review it's not super great compared to its all-in-one brethren: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7738/closed-loop-aio-liquid-coolers/9

Also make sure your powersupply is up to snuff. I always compare PSU's to the heart inside your body. It 'pumps' the required power to all your computers 'organs'. It needs to be good, and rock solid, or it will take down other components with it when it derps..

koranin
Gahz'rilla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks reica,
i have looked at and consider what you have said . psu wise i have a corsair 600w. should hopefully supply what i should need i would hope.

looking at price difference of cpu's there doesnt seem to be much, motherboard wise what do you think to the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard ??? only £120.

and in regards to the fan. well now im completely confused after looking at that page. any you would personally recommend. looking at about same price of £45???

Ymla
Nefarian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for the non-k version, it comes with a stock (air) cooler. That should be good enough for regular use. If you want to upgrade beyond that or go for the k version, a cooler master evo 212 (probably around £25) is good enough. You might also be able to get the k version bundled with some cooler (quite common in Sweden at least)...

As Reica pointed out, the AIO liquid cooler you considered is "not super great compared to its all-in-one brethren", but it is also the cheapest of the bunch and should really be considered as an alternative to an average air cooler. It will perform somewhat better than both the stock air cooler and the CM 212 evo, but it is also louder and more expensive.

However, the 6600-series has a TDP less than 100W, so unless you overclock you really don't need a fancy cooler (unless you have specific reasons, e.g., noise levels, ambient temperature, ...).

In the end, I doubt you will notice any difference between the 6600 and 6600k, or any of the coolers. The AIO liquid cooler will probably be a bit easier to install, at least compared to the cooler master, but a 6600 with stock cooler is what, £50-60 cheaper...

koranin
Gahz'rilla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice both of you. i ended up getting the 6600k , and just been picking a motherboard. think i have decided on the Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3 EU LGA 1151 4x DDR4 Max 64 . only £95 so a little saving there of £65, in regards to fan i still need to decide on that one but will certainly consider the one you have mentioned ymla. i think i actually looked at that one when scanning through. cooler master evo 212 or something similar at least

Aralynn
Magmadar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EVO 212 is a great aircooler. Rather quiet and good performance. Also doesn't really break the bank that much. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Public General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum