Home - Raid Calendar - Wiki - Search - Usergroups - Register - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - New Posts - Log in

Introducing: The Ebon Keep

Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Roleplay
Fenmapus
Archivist of the Flame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Introducing: The Ebon Keep Reply with quote

Ebon Codex entries:

(Culture and History)

Darkshore

Darkshore is a long strip of coast on the northwestern part of Kalimdor. It is known for it's characteristically shadowed woods and rocky beaches, littered with ancient ruins and mountainside caves. The night elves of Teldrassil claim the shore as part of their new kingdom, and sentinels patrol the road from the port of Auberdine towards Ashenvale to the south.

This rocky area stretches along Kalimdor’s north coast. Rains, winds and rocky beaches make the place inhospitable. Old night elf ruins stand crumbling on the cliffs, and murlocs and naga lurk within. The night elf village of Auberdine serves as a friendly trading post.

History
Darkshore was once one of the most prosperous regions of the Kaldorei empire, and great cities such as Ameth'Aran and Bashal'Aran were the pinnacle of civilization at that time. Much of the coastline was destroyed in the Sundering, and it was many years before the night elves began to rebuild in the area.

After the Sundering, some night elves settled in the continent's northern reaches, on and near Mount Hyjal, including the port at the mountain's northern foot. The night elves left Darkshore in the course of the Third War, moving to the safety of Mount Hyjal and the Moonglade. A small number of night elves have returned to the cold and desolate beach to revive the port. They dwell in the village of Auberdine and currently use it as a ferry outpost. The remainder of the seaside is left in ruins.

Darkshore covers northwestern Kalimdor, and the tainted land of Felwood rises to Hyjal to the southeast. The rocky cliffs, sandy soil, and ever-present sea mist ensure that little worth noting grows in Darkshore. Kelp, seaweed, and rocks litter the beaches, and a few sparse trees dot the landscape away from the beach. Once a thriving night elf settlement, it is little more than a desolate beach dotted with ruined buildings. The weather is cold and stormy much of the time, with a wicked wind stirring up the waves. Rain and fog are prevalent for a good part of the year, allowing only the most talented sailors to navigate the dangerous waters. Shipwrecks of the less talented litter the shallower waters and beach. The night elves currently living in Darkshore have focused their attention on rebuilding Auberdine. Most of the town is made up of new buildings, as the night elves cleared away the ruins they could not restore. Many ruins remain outside Auberdine, and harsh winds and salt water continue to corrode the once sturdy buildings. These worn pillars and crumbling structures are not totally abandoned - stories about that murlocs and naga are slowly taking the ruins for their own.

The night elves have a limited presence in Darkshore. They spend much of their time keeping the area directly around the port town of Auberdine safe. The night elves subsist mainly what they can catch in the ocean and what they can get through trade. When not fighting one another, naga and murlocs that lurk elsewhere in the ruins of Darkshore attack any travelers who look like easy pickings. Furbolgs inhabit a series of caves beneath the port. Uncultured but friendly to night elves in the past, their time in the ruins has turned many of them feral.

(Culture and History)
Auberdine

Auberdine is the main center of civilization in Darkshore. Most of Auberdine is populated by Night Elves, but the occasional dwarf or gnome, and even high elf can also be found there. While quite appealing, Auberdine offers a brutal contrast from the serenity that can be felt in Darnassus. Even the sun seems to be too shy to cast its rays upon the land, which seems to be kept cloaked in a dark and mysterious mist.

The buildings in Auberdine are quite different from those found in Darnassus. Here, the stone is mostly replaced by wood, and every house has a gloomy look, as if a spell was cast upon the outpost. Auberdine is a small town with little to defend except a safe way of life.

History
Auberdine had previously been damaged during the Sundering and later wars. After the Third War, the night elves who had been living in Darkshore began to focus their attention on rebuilding the town. Most of the town is made of new buildings, as the night elves cleared away the ruins they could not restore.

Auberdine is the sole warm haven amid the desolate land of Darkshore. The oppressive weather and the creatures that lurk in the shadows make much of Darkshore inhospitable, but this thriving trading post is a safe place for heroes to restock and rest. The town had about 200 residents just after the Third War, mostly night elves, but has grown to about 5,500 residents in recent times. Visitors can stop at the Fish Eye Tavern for a hot bite to eat, purchase supplies at Tassik's Tradepost, or, if they have the knack for sailing, rent a skiff at Syran's Boat House. Residents are quite outgoing for night elves and free with advice, whether offering tips on sailing or advising on travel through Darkshore. Auberdine is a small town with little to defend except a safe way of life. The residents' jovial demeanor is but a thin veneer covering a grim determination to protect their homes. There are few armed forces in a military sense, but local scouts and rangers serve as a ready militia and are prepared to defend their quiet hamlet to the death.

Today Auberdine possesses little of its former glory: with Darnassus becoming the capital of the night elven nation, the small port town became a haven for the undesirables of night elven society. Although not officially exiled from the capital, the inhabitants of Auberdine know very well that they are not welcomed in Darnassus.

(Culture and History)
The Ebon Keep

The Ebon Keep is an ancient fortress in northern Darkshore. Originally built during the Long Vigil by the ancient Order of the Ebon Flame to establish a presence in the Sundering-damaged Darkshore, after the Order’s decimation at the Third War the Keep was reclaimed by Thalos and functions to this day as the headquarters of the modern Order. Although the Order is often called away from Kalimdor to fulfill its duty towards Azeroth, most Ebon Wardens still consider the Ebon Keep as their only home and sanctuary. It is also the second biggest night elven settlement to offer a home to all nations of the Alliance, next to the capital, Darnassus.

History
The Ebon Keep was the first of many fortresses and outposts established by the ancient Order of the Ebon Flame. Originally built to be a small outpost to establish a presence in the dangerous Darkshore, the Keep soon became the second biggest night elven settlement in the area, its defenders the primary force to keep the roads safe of the feral creatures that roam the coastline and forests. Auberdine in particular flourished under the guard of the Ebon Keep and soon became the most important coastal settlement of the night elves.

This all changed after the Third War. After the destruction of the Order by the Burning Legion the Keep was all but abandoned, leaving Auberdine and many other settlements in the Darkshore to rebuild on their own. In the years that followed the abandoned Keep was all but stripped of all resources, its walls all but destroyed by the desperate survivors of the War for precious building materials. Thalos, Fifth Keeper of the Ebon Flame and the only Ebon Warden left on Azeroth reclaimed the Keep three years after the Third War. With the help of his mentor’s, Dorgan the dwarf’s, considerable fortune he managed to restore some of the Keep’s former glory and the abandoned fortress soon began to fill with new Ebon Wardens as Thalos slowly began to restore the Order from its ashes.

Today the Ebon Keep serves as both the only headquarter of the new Order and the biggest military presence in the Darkshore. Auberdine in particular profits from this, as the defenders of the Keep often patrol the roads, keeping the general area safe of the many dangers that lurk in the Darkshore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC notice:

The guild halls are no longer in a non-existant metaphysical place that only exists in /g!!!! Whooo!!

In our ongoing effort to reform EF RP your favourite Archivists have created a place for our wonderous guild hall to exist: the scenic location of the Darkshore!

Darkshore and especially Auberdine will become the official EF RP hub, giving our members the opportunity to roleplay outside of /g.

Guild-related events, RP meetings or just general good old fashioned RP will all happen in Darkshore and Auberdine. It is in our hopes that people will now visit Darkshore more often and establish an RP presence there.

"I've got the soul of an artist... right here in my jar"

"You can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter'" - Warlock's Creed

Gandogar
Razorgore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC: Uh, Fen.

You do realize that something significant is going to happen to Auberdine in Cataclysm that may make it kind of hard to have guild meetings and what-not there....

Just sayin'. Dunno if that's all part of the plan. Smile

Last edited by Gandogar on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kili
Nefarian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC: Pleased to read that the NE origins are being exploited, but to my knowledge the NE never had keeps in the way Warcraft presents them. A keep as a military building is a human concept, none of the other races even in the alliance have keeps. The NE in the strategy game had the Ancients and lodges/lumber mills as sites to generate their troops. There's no eveidence of a keep at the world tree or up in Moonglade itself and there aren't any in the ancient NE sights now haunted by the old World Dragons.

Even with hinted events in Cata (going from the videos on the official site) I think Darkshore would be a good NE related area as that area flows from Moonglade-Winterspring-Felwood-Ashenvale-Darkshore.

Sejavictrix
Scourgelady (melee offence officer)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC:

I think the idea is that the ruin of the old Ebon Flame headquarters has been rebuilt by Alliance artisans paid for by Dorgan. I imagine it as a "keep" built in a mix of archtectural styles. Human layout, built by (dwarven) masons, out of and on top of the ruins of Night elf structures.

Fenmapus
Archivist of the Flame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: Feathermoon Stronghold. Or if we assume that was built after the Third War: Cenarion Hold or the outpost Fandral's son was killed in the War of the Shifting Sands.

I believe night elven society has been retconned a great deal from the strategic game to make it more MMO accesible. I think the whole idea that night elves came from Ancients and that they have no actual buildings or fortresses of their own is outdated.

Then again, I might be wrong. In that case, what Seja said.

Edit: And yes, I know what happens to Darkshore in Cataclysm. Chillax, it's all part of the plan.

Gandogar
Razorgore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chillax

Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

*throws his keyboard through a window*

Fanguarn
Gehennas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenmapus wrote:
Two words: Feathermoon Stronghold. Or if we assume that was built after the Third War: Cenarion Hold or the outpost Fandral's son was killed in the War of the Shifting Sands.

I believe night elven society has been retconned a great deal from the strategic game to make it more MMO accesible. I think the whole idea that night elves came from Ancients and that they have no actual buildings or fortresses of their own is outdated.

Then again, I might be wrong. In that case, what Seja said.

Edit: And yes, I know what happens to Darkshore in Cataclysm. Chillax, it's all part of the plan.

There. he just admitted he's responsible for planning all the disasters happening in Cataclysm.

On a more relative note; I think it's a great idea to actually materialise the HQ. The location would not be my first pick but it definetly is a good idea, somewhere between acessible and lore-filled.

I hope all goes well and the Keep sprinkles life to many roleplaying moments.

Kili
Nefarian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenmapus wrote:

Good show. Just keeping you on your toes.

Eustan
Baron Rivendare

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Often fairly empty, has a little hall and a moonwell for potential ceremonies.

Zenvon
Captain of the Flame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Spoiler alert*
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1918-Cataclysm-Preview-Darkshore-Blue-Posts-Wallpaper

Blue posts about Darkshore in Cataclysm and lots of pictures.

Fenmapus
Archivist of the Flame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Cataclysm took its toll on the lands of Azeroth, but few were as much damaged as the Darkshore, in the kingdom of the night elves. Deathwing’s return all but decimated the once peaceful lands, as the sea swallowed the coastline and raging thunderstorms dotted the skies. Auberdine, the night elves’ only settlement on the Darkshore was all but destroyed, its remains constantly plagued by raging elementals.

The raging elements did not spare the Ebon Keep either. As the seas raged all around Auberdine, the Ebon Keep was under constant attack by water elementals. The Keep’s defenders put up a heroic fight, but even they couldn’t withhold the fury of the elements. By the time the worst was over, the proud headquarters of the Order of the Ebon Flame was utterly destroyed, its remains swallowed by the sea.

Ebon Flame currently makes his home in the tiny settlement of Lor’danel, in the northern Darkshore, built by refugees of Auberdine. However, the town is small, resources are scarce and Darkshore has become a constant source of conflict as elementals and Twilight’s Hammer cultists plague its forests. The Order of the Ebon Flame knows that in order to reclaim its former glory and greatness, a new home would have to be found."

- Ebon Archives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Roleplay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: