Home - Raid Calendar - Wiki - Search - Usergroups - Register - Profile - Log in to check your private messages - New Posts - Log in

Open Roleplay: Fall of the Lich King

Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Roleplay
Fenmapus
Archivist of the Flame

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:02 pm Post subject: Open Roleplay: Fall of the Lich King Reply with quote

Right, it's time to get some RP done around here, since we're already steamrolling through half of ICC. Let me introduce to you: the new OPEN RP guild storyline system, yaay!

I've already outlined in several previous what our personal purpose in ICC will be: to liberate the ancient elven spirits of past leaders and members of EF, in order to honor their legacy and restoring the Ebon Flame lost to us after Thalos's fall. We planned for Thalos to be a plot character, because it was all his fault after all ;P

As it stands now the Icecrown Citadel story will take place entirely on the forums (of course that may change later) and we've already talked to Damma about visual aids to make it even more fun!
But that's just the frosting! The real treat about the Icecrown Citadel storyline is that we want everyone, including YOU to contribute!

Every 1 or 2 weeks either me or Verannion will write a chapter of EFs campaign inside Icecrown Citadel (tied to bossfights respectively).

If you want to contribute to the guild RP you will have those 1-2 weeks (maybe more, depends on how much time we have to get down to writing) to write what your character thinks, feels, does in that chapter and add to the guild story. And the best part? Your decisions will have an active effect on the story as it goes! That way not even we will know how each chapter will end or begin! Feel like playing a prank on the tank? You can put firebeetles inside her armour. Of course, that might make her lose focus when the undead ambush us, severly crippling or even killing her!

We aim this storyline campaign to be something of a DnD pen and paper game, without the dice rolling. Of course that will need YOU to contribute.

"I've got the soul of an artist... right here in my jar"

"You can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter'" - Warlock's Creed

Last edited by Fenmapus on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Fenmapus
Archivist of the Flame

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should remember that roleplaying is a responsibility. Because of your interaction with other people's characters and because the actions of your characters can influence other characters. If you write a roleplay story, you're not only writing a story about your character, but you're writing a story about every characters yours comes in contact with and you also have a moderate influence on events that would occur randomly in reality (for example if you write about your character flipping a coin, in the end it will come to -you- the writer to decide whether it's head or tails).

Me and Verannion have been given the task of handling guild roleplay and we both think that this includes monitoring what and how people write their stories. Now, we're not going into the RP-police business you see on the Moonglade forums nowadays, I think people know us long enough to be aware that we are mature (despite the fact we're playing an online fairy tale), responsible people. We don't want to restrict people's roleplayings in the least, however I think moderate monitorings will be necesarry.

The other thing we want to enforce rather strictly is this: keep to the lore. We are writing roleplaying stories in a preset world, there are many things we have power over, but there are again many things we don't have power over. Because in your stories you share a preset reality with others, you have the additional responsibility of obeying the rules of said reality. I know, you might think that this is our -guild- roleplay and the majority of your guildmates won't mind if you bend the rules. That is true to some extent, but Ver and I think that now we have the opportunity to prove to the server that we're an RP force to be reckoned with. We feel that over the past few years we've lost our title as "Raiding and Roleplaying guild" and in order to show everyone that we're bunch of skilled roleplayers we need to give that image.

Now, we can't expect people to sit down in front of wowwiki.com and start chewing through all the articles. That would be just silly and it would take the most important aspect out of roleplaying: fun. The last thing we want for roleplaying to become a stressful endavour similar to raids.

But that's why we're here. The Archivists, Enerdhil and many others know WoW lore in and out, we know all the do's and don'ts of the world of Azeroth. We're here to help you and will assist you to integrate your story into WoW lore. Of course that will mean at some points we will be forced to ask you to edit your story or rewrite certain segments. But even if sometimes those changes might seem unfair, remember that we're just trying to obey the WoW lore's rules. We will never hinder someone's creativity unless we absolutely have to.

TLDR version: basically there are two rules:

Your roleplay has consequences, it affects those you roleplay with. Roleplay responsibly!

You're roleplaying in a preset world, obey the world's rules. Stick to the lore!

I don't think we need more rules than that, but these two should be the golden rules to ensure everyone is having fun and has the chance to be creative and imaginative!

Two more rules for the structure of the whole "open RP" system:

You may only have a character that is not your own star in your RP story with the consent of the character's owner. You are obliged to show the story to the character's owner before posting it on the forums and only if he or she agrees to it may you post it.

All stories written for the Open RPs must first be approved by the Archivists (Fenmapus and Verannion) who will to their best abilities correct lore-wise flaws. The Archivist will never hinder your creativity unless absolutely necesarry.

Have fun!

kinta
War Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent Smile

thanks to all who've been involved in this, especially Fen and V, and let's make it fun!

Thalos
Founder of Ebon Flame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

kinta wrote:
let's make it fun!

Fenmapus
Archivist of the Flame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, this project has somehow gotten lost at some point during history...

But never fear, we've revived it and it's back on track!

However, a few changes have been made to accomodate both you (the roleplayers) and us (the Archivists).

We've broken down the Icecrown campaign into several chapters, according to the several stages of the raid instance. You'll find chapters for the prologue, The Lower Spire, the Crimson Halls, etc, etc, etc.

All you need to do now is write your story in the appropriate chapter's forum topic. Also, be sure to make a note when your story is happening according to the Chapters timeline progression to avoid confusion.

The stories in the chapter will not be linear. For instance, Seja might write about a scene happening after the death of the Blood Queen, while in the next post we see Heba write about a scene that deals with the battle against the Blood Council.

Other than that all the rules mentioned in the first post still apply.

Post new topicReply to topic Ebon Flame Forum Index -> Roleplay All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: